Sinemet is used to treat Parkinson’s disease.
- Classifications: Autonomic Nervous System Agent; Anticholinergic; Antiparkinsonism Agent
- Available in Capsule & Tablet forms
- Elderly patients may have increase chance of side effects during treatment due to high sensitivity.
- Kidney disease
- Diabetes mellitus
- Chronic lung disease
- Urine, saliva, and sweat become darker in color than usual.
- May cause a bitter taste, or a burning sensation of the tongue
Interactions – MAOI, Tricyclic antidepressants, Haloperidol
- Observe for therapeutic effects and report adverse reactions promptly.
- Monitor vital signs & rhythm, particularly during period of dosage adjustment.
- Teach to make position changes slowly, particularly from sitting to upright position.
Reference: Roach’s Introductory Clinical Pharmacology.
Rophem Nursing 🙂